Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Bluetooth GPS in Linux with gpsd


I have the following no-name bluetooth-only gps device. When I plug it into the USB port of my computer for a recharge, it is seen as :
$lsusb
Bus 003 Device 011: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port

I already have the bluetooth stack working on Ubuntu so I could make a bluetooth scan for it. The gadget presents itself as GT-750F :


$hcitool scan
Scanning ...
00:0B:0D:76:83:73 GT-750F

Following the instructions at http://gpsd.berlios.de/bt.html, I added the following section into /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf :
rfcomm0 {
# Automatically bind the device at startup
bind yes;

# Bluetooth address of the device
device 00:0B:0D:76:83:73;

# RFCOMM channel for the connection
channel 1;

# Description of the connection
comment "GPS GT-750F";
}

I then launched gpsd with the following command :

sudo gpsd -D 2 -N /dev/rfcomm0

and using xgps and gpsdrive, I saw that it al worked fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment